Friday, September 19, 2008

Embarrassing moments



I'm starting a new series of posts about my most embarrassing moments to date. Here's the first:

Way back, when I was a poor, cash-strapped student, I got a job at a retailer selling the kind of clothes your aunt Jane might wear. You know... frumpy blouses, elasticated waistbands, cardigans in subdued colours. Well, beggars can't be choosers, all right?
Anyway, the manager of the shop gave me half-a-day's training (including how to operate the cash register - yikes!).
I remember her specifically instructing me to say the following words to each customer after they had purchased an item from the shop:

'Thank you. Have fun with your new clothes!'

At the time I thought it was a bit strange, since these kind of clothes were anything BUT fun...however, I did as I was told, smiled at each customer, helped them select clothes, and when they bought something, told them to have fun with their new clothes as per the manager's instructions.
Then, just before it was closing time a woman came in and bought a cardigan/skirt ensemble in a sombre colour. The whole time she didn't say a thing. Just tried on the clothes, came up to the register, and plonked the clothes on the counter. I added them up on the register, told her the price and folded her new clothes up nicely before putting them in a carrier bag. I handed her the bag, smiled and said :

'Thankyou. Have fun with your new clothes!'

Upon which the woman turned and said deadpan: 'They're for a funeral.'

Oops.

2 comments:

Kristen Andrews said...

that is funny! Hey you were doing your job!

Anonymous said...

I like reading the embarrassing moments. Maybe I'm the guy who take delight in other people's embarrassing moments.

olol

I recommand a website for you, I read the embarrassing moments everyday in the website.

http://www.yourembarrassingmoments.com