Monday, August 25, 2008

Monday Migraine




Leaving behind the stresses of the city, I naively believed I'd be leaving behind my migraine too.
What with the peace and quiet of the country, loads of fresh air, a simpler way of life etc. etc.
Well, I was mistaken.
It hit me again this morning, at 5:55 AM, just before the alarm went off. I am slowly recovering.

As a long-term sufferer I've had plenty of time to experiment with all sorts of pain-reducers, i.e. eliminating cheese, wine & chocolate from my diet (doesn't work); drinking espresso with a squirt of fresh lemon juice (eeuugghh); yoga, meditation, not to mention gulping handfuls of painkillers (worst possible choice if you ask me).

What I found works best in the long run is a moderate amount of Pilates
Aromatherapy; essential oils such as lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, rosemary, basil work best. Put a few drops of your preferred oil into a neutral carrier oil (sweet almond, jojoba) and gently rub into temples. Alternatively, use a vaporizer, if your family members don't mind the whole house being permeated by the scent!
All natural wild blueberry extract capsules taken over a longer period. Apparently this 'relaxes' the blood vessels.

If you have any other advice on how to alleviate a full-blown attack, please let me know...

No comments: