Monday, December 15, 2008

One lonesome tree

I woke up this morning to find an awful racket outside my window.
Can you guess what happened? Me neither.

When I looked outside there was a worker climbing up into our huge beech tree in the back garden! I had forgotten all about the tree. The city horticulturist had inspected the tree last year and found it to be diseased. It supposedly presented a hazard, so the city ordered it taken down.
They are at it with their chainsaws as we speak. Poor tree. If they keep going at this rate it will be completely removed by midday.
The view out to the back will be entirely different, now that the tree doesn't protect us from the curious eyes of our neighbours.
What a start to the week. Sigh.

 

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oooh, that would be sad. I love trees, and I love the trees that are outside our patio (we live in an apartment). It was one of the huge reasons I wanted this apartment! lol

Thanks for the comment, by the way! I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with it - I'm excited! I'll definitely post when I finish. :-)

Love your blog design here!

tashabud said...

You'll feel naked to your neighbors for a long while. We have trees in our backyard as additional cover from our neighbors also. I would feel very naked without them.

Tasha

Erika said...

We had to remove a Cottonwood that was estimated to be about a 100 years old. I kept wondering if we had made the right decision to have it removed until we saw the seven foot hole inside the trunk. We were told that we were lucky that it had not fallen during a recent tornado. (It would have crushed the baby's room).

iceah said...

ow'poor tree :c poor you too :c